Losing your garage door key can be a frustrating experience. Not only do you have to worry about getting into your garage, but you also have to worry about security. If someone finds your key, they could easily access your home. In this blog post, we will discuss how to hire the best garage door locksmith when you need garage door key replacement.
Few things you can do if you lose your garage door key
- Check your spare keys. If you have a spare key, you can use that to open your garage.
- Contact your garage door manufacturer. Some manufacturers offer replacement keys or rekeying services.
- Hire a locksmith. A locksmith can make you a new key or rekey your lock.
If you decide to hire a locksmith, choosing a reputable one is important. Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a locksmith:
Get multiple estimates
The first step in hiring a reputable garage door locksmith is to get multiple estimates. This will help you ensure that you’re getting a fair price. You can get estimates by calling different locksmiths or searching online. When you’re getting estimates, be sure to ask the locksmith about the following:
- The cost of making a new key
- The cost of rekeying your lock
- The cost of travel time
- The cost of any additional services
Ask for references
Once you’ve gotten a few estimates, asking the locksmith for references is a good idea. This will help you get a sense of their insights. You can ask the locksmith for the names of previous customers or the names of businesses they’ve worked for. When you’re contacting references, be sure to ask them about the following:
- The quality of the locksmith’s work
- The locksmith’s professionalism
- The locksmith’s price
License and insurance
Verifying the licensing and insurance of the hired locksmith is crucial as it provides necessary protection in the event of any unexpected mishaps. You can check with your state’s licensing board to see if the locksmith is licensed. You can also ask the locksmith to provide you with proof of insurance.
Ask about warranty
While getting your garage door key replaced, you should ask about the locksmith’s warranty policy. This will protect you in case something goes wrong with their work. Make sure to get everything in writing so that you have proof of the warranty.
Here are some questions you can ask about the warranty:
- How long is the warranty?
- What is covered by the warranty?
- What is not covered by the warranty?
It is also good to ask if the locksmith is available 24/7. This is important if you ever need their services outside of business hours. Some garage door repair service providers offer emergency services, which can be very helpful if you are locked out of your home.
Here are some questions you can ask about availability:
- Are you available 24/7?
- What is your emergency service fee?
- How long does it usually take for you to arrive on the scene?
By asking these questions, you can make sure that you are prepared in case of an emergency.
Tips for Keeping Your Garage Door Secure
Here are a few tips for keeping your garage door secure:
- Install a deadbolt lock. A deadbolt lock is more secure than a standard knob lock.
- Use a security bar. A security bar can prevent someone from lifting your garage door open.
- Store your garage door opener securely. If someone has access to your garage door opener, they can open it outside.
- Change your garage door key regularly. This will help to prevent unauthorized access to your garage.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you see someone loitering around your garage, report it to the police.
By following these tips, you can help to keep your garage door secure and your home safe.
Losing your garage door key can be a stressful experience. If locked out of your garage, getting into your home and accessing your belongings can take time and effort. So finding a reputable locksmith is very important. Following the tips mentioned above, you can get your garage door key replacement quickly.